I’m sure you all know this but I thought I’d throw it out there anyway. Not much is going on worth mentioning here but I figured it was time for some actual running related content. 😉
- Milk products and my GI tract do NOT get along. I have noticed this seems to be fairly common among athletes so be aware of this before you head out.
- Aim for a small snack about an hour before you go out such as a banana or piece of whole wheat toast.
- Avoid things with a lot of protein and fat in them.
During your run
- WATCH YOUR HYDRATION!
- If you’re going to be outside for a considerable amount of time you should have something that will replace electrolytes and a small amount of calories to keep you going. Besides the typical gels or sports drink you can take in fig newtons, gummy bears, pretzels, jelly beans, or peanut butter and crackers. I personally can’t chew and run at the same time so I stick with gels.
- Be sure to get in some form of replacement fuel in your body as soon as possible (I do best within 15 minutes.) A lot of times I’m not hungry at all after a workout but I make sure to force it down anyway. A smoothie, chocolate milk, banana with nut butter are a few examples. Again, go for something easily digestible. Then you can do your ice bath and start bandaging those blisters.
- Have something else once you feel up for eating (before you get ravenous!) I usually like a meal such as salmon or tuna with brown rice and veggies.